Redefining cyber security with Zero Trust Network Access
Zero Trust Network Access (ZTNA) is quickly redefining the security landscape. As such, it’s something that every business should be aware of – and focus on making the shift to. Whether this is being used for authentication and access or holistic control and visibility, implementing ZTNA can make a big difference to the cyber security outcomes for any business.
What is Zero Trust Network Access (ZTNA)?
Given the huge shift that has taken place towards remote working in recent years, many businesses have increasingly been looking for methods to make this more secure. ZTNA is a way of providing remote secure access to applications, services, and data on the basis of access control policies that have been clearly established. It can be used to help reduce the gaps between other secure remote access options. This is a different approach to using VPNs – ZTNA access is granted only to specific services or applications whereas a VPN will allow access to the entire network. So, it’s already obvious just how much more security there is with ZTNA.
How does it work?
When your business is using ZTNA it means that access to certain applications or resources becomes limited. Only a user that has been ZTNA authenticated will be able to gain access. Even once a user has been authenticated, ZTNA ensures that the user only has access to the specific application or resources that are intended. This access is provided via a secure encrypted tunnel, which hides applications and services from IP addresses that would otherwise be visible. This offers a lot more protection than many other options out there today. In particular, it ensures that users don’t have access to any applications and services that they don’t have permission for. It also protects against lateral attacks because, even if an attacker gained access to one service, they would not be able to go on and access others.
What are the benefits of ZTNA
- Being able to connect applications, users and data even when they are not on the organisation’s network. This makes it ideal for multi-cloud environments.
- Granular, context-aware access. This is far more security than the broader access that other solutions offer, which means it can considerably boost cyber security provision within a business. Access to services is secured without putting other applications or services at risk at the same time.
- A more effective option than VPNs. ZTNA has a number of advantages over a VPN, including true flexibility and agility, granularity and better resource utilisation by only adding users to networks they need to be on, rather than overloading networks with everyone.
- No need to grant excessive trust to employees, contractors and any users who actually only really need much more limited trust.
- Nothing is to be trusted until proven trustworthy. This is essentially the model behind ZTNA and it means that trust always needs to be authenticated and reauthenticated, whatever the connection.
ZTNA is redefining the world of cyber security today in a simple, but highly effective, way.
Implement a zero trust network with CyberHive
Why wait? Gain the benefits of zero trust network access with CyberHive Connect – a cyber secure solution for post-quantum cyptography. Get in touch today, and we can discuss how our solutions meet your needs.
Get in touch
If you have a question or would like some more information, contact us today.