Bulletproof your business: The ultimate SME cyber security checklist
While headlines may often focus on major cyber security incidents, hacks, and digital assaults, SMEs are equally prone to being targeted. In fact, last year, nearly half (42%) of all ransomware attacks and data breaches were aimed at SMEs. The ramifications of a successful cyber attack can be catastrophic and – as stated by Forbes – up to 60% of targeted businesses close within six months. Therefore, having a cyber security checklist is essential protection for an SME. So, where should you begin?
Get clear on what the threat landscape looks like
Before you begin working through your cyber security checklist it’s essential to get clear on what the threat landscape looks like for your business. This is going to evolve constantly but will include ransomware, phishing, data breach risks, as well as worms, viruses, and DDoS attacks. The first step to bulletproofing your business is ensuring that you know where the threats might come from.
The cyber security checklist
- Protect your data. Use encryption when it comes to your data and limit employee access to confidential data with measures such as the principle of least privilege.
- Take proactive steps to meet existing threats. That might be using a malware scanner to track incoming and outgoing network traffic or improving the protection your firewalls provide.
- Create an incident response plan. Attacks can happen at any time so an incident response plan that can kick into action instantly is essential. This could include threat containment, protecting critical data, how to restore system functionality and how to map network damage.
- Make sure you have essential backups. Rebuilding IT systems after an attack takes time and money and can be avoided if you have robust backups. You’ll also need to have clear data retention policies to support these backups.
- Use multi-factor authentication. One of the simplest ways to protect your business is to prevent malicious users from easily gaining access to your systems and network by using multi-factor authentication. This uses more than just passwords, requiring additional elements for access – such as biometric details.
- Train and educate your team. The people in your business are your first line of cyber security defence so it’s vital to regularly train and educate. Make sure staff are aware of the latest risks in phishing etc. and that they know how to use systems and software in a secure way.
- Make remote access secure. If your team is using remote access this automatically adds insecurity that you’ll need to take steps to mitigate. Those steps might include central approval of all remote work devices, the use of VPNs and denying access from insecure public Wi-Fi networks.
- Update software and systems regularly. Some of the worst cyber security breaches are the result of something as simple as an unpatched software vulnerability so make sure everything is regularly updated.
- Work with the professionals. Cyber security experts can provide the latest intel on threat intelligence and advice on how to protect your business.
If you’re looking to bulletproof your business’ cyber security, this is the ultimate checklist to use.
Secure your company with CyberHive
Securing your SME in today’s ever-changing cyber threat landscape is a vital task that requires diligent attention and expertise. Our tailored solutions at CyberHive are designed to help you navigate these challenges effortlessly. Don’t leave your business exposed to the risks of cyber attacks.
Reach out to our team of experienced cyber security professionals today and let us guide you through implementing expert cyber security for business. Get in touch today.
- Cyber security for SMEs: Don’t put yourself at risk
- Redefining cyber security with Zero Trust Network Access
- Addressing communication challenges in cyber security for business
- CyberHive Connect 2.0 – Revolutionising network discovery and configuration
- Boosting SecOps effectiveness: Tackling OT training gaps
Get in touch
If you have a question or would like some more information, contact us today.